Testosterone and Magnesium, what's the connection?

Testosterone and Magnesium, what's the connection?

If you’re thinking about your testosterone levels, it pays to look at the bigger picture. While testosterone is an important marker when it comes to your health, fitness, and fertility, it doesn’t function in isolation.

The ability of your body to produce the right levels of testosterone, and for that testosterone to work effectively, depends on lots of factors, from nutrition to sleep, stress levels to intake of essential vitamins and minerals. 

We’re going beyond testosterone alone to take a closer look at the other elements you need to know about, alongside your testosterone levels, if you want to improve your health, increase your fitness, and build muscle more effectively. 

Testosterone and Magnesium Blood Tests
Image from Istockphoto​​

What is magnesium and why is it important?

From the regulation of blood sugar to boosting athletic performance, the mineral magnesium plays an important role in the function of your brain and your body. 

Around 60% of the magnesium in your body can be found in your bones, while the remaining 40% is spread through muscles, blood, and tissue. Its main role is to assist the hundreds of biochemical reactions that happen constantly in the body, including: 

  • Converting amino acids into proteins

  • Converting food into energy

  • Creating and repairing DNA

  • Encouraging muscle contraction and relaxation

  • Regulating the nervous system

What are the signs of a magnesium deficiency?

Initially, low levels of magnesium won’t cause a problem. But, over time, if levels stay low, you may notice a range of signs and symptoms, such as loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and weakness. In more extreme causes, you may notice numbness and tingling, cramps, seizures, personality changes, and an abnormal heart rhythm.

Those most at risk of magnesium deficiency include people with Chron’s disease, coeliac disease or type 2 diabetes and older people. 

Those who exercise frequently can also experience low levels of magnesium, potentially due to the amount lost in sweat during training. As magnesium is needed to help create energy and help muscular contraction, exercising hard, frequently creates a greater demand for the mineral.

How does magnesium impact testosterone?


Low magnesium levels are associated with lowered testosterone and studies have found that supplements can help return testosterone levels to normal if the cause of the decrease is a deficiency.

One study showed that taking supplements for at least a month may increase testosterone in all people, although people who exercise would see a more significant increase in testosterone levels than those who don’t. 

Taking a look at your testosterone – look a little deeper.

When looking indicators of your health and fitness, it’s always a good idea to get as much of a holistic view as you can, as there are so many elements which can influence how effectively our body is functioning. 

And this is certainly the case when it comes to testosterone. Understanding the crucial elements linked to your testosterone levels can help you make the right dietary, supplement and exercise-based choices for you.

Thyroid Premium Gold Profile.

Magnesium is available in our Testosterone Premium Gold Profile which also includes Testosterone, Oestradiol, SHBG, Albumin, Free Testosterone Calculated, LH, FSH, Prolactin, FAI, DHEAS, Vitamin D, Cortisol, Total B12, Serum Folate and Zinc

Quick and Reliable

There's a reason that over 30% of Blue Horizon Kit requests are from patients that have used us before.