When you think about ‘gut health’ you’d be forgiven for thinking it begins and ends in the stomach. But the health of your digestive system extends far beyond the gut. A healthy gut microbiome can be linked to a wide range of health conditions and risk factors, meaning that maintaining a healthy gut is a cornerstone of good health.
What can cause an imbalance in the gut microbiome and influence disease?
There are lots of factors which can cause an imbalance in the gut, impacting the health of the microbiome, including:
- Not enough variety in the diet. A healthy gut needs a diverse diet, rich in nutrients and minerals, fibre, and protein.
- Lack of prebiotics. Prebiotics are a type of fibre that promote the growth of healthy bacteria. They can be found in fruits, vegetables and whole grains, lentils, oats, bananas, leeks, garlic and onions.
- Too much alcohol. Drinking too much alcohol can lead to gut problems that interrupt and disrupt the balance of bacteria.
- Antibiotics. Antibiotics are important medicines used to treat infections and diseases caused by bacteria. But the downside is that they can affect your good bacteria, too. Even a single treatment can be enough to throw off the balance in the gut and it can take a long time to readdress.
- Lack of exercise. Being physically active is important. Regular exercise can help with weight management, stress reduction and heart health. It’s also believed that physical activity can improve gut health.
- Smoking. Cigarettes are one of the most important environmental risk factors for inflammatory bowel disease. In one study, participants who stopped smoking showed increased gut flora diversity - a marker of a healthy gut.
- Not enough sleep. Disrupting your body clock through a lack of sleep, shift work and eating late at night may have harmful effects on your gut bacteria.
- Stress. High stress levels can have harmful effects in the gut, increasing sensitivity, reducing blood flow, and altering gut bacteria.
Advantages of rebalancing your microbiome.
Our Test includes a unique report that can guide you through dietary changes that will allow your microbiome to naturally rebalance.
Published research studies of patients following their personalised nutrition guide show:
- An 85% improvement in bowel habits.
- A 63% increase in energy levels.
- A 42% improvement in sleep disorders.
- An Average of 7.1KG weight loss.
- An 18% improvement in microbiome diversity